last night was my second go at a roller derby practice. it was soooo much better than the first time!! it was so satisfying to sweat soooo much and feel my muscles burn. i love it. i get sturdier on my skates every time i put them on. not only did i skate, but i did little jumps from side to side (while standing still) and ones where i spun around and jumped. i fell once when i did the spin jumps... but i was really proud of myself! i participated in all the drills, including one where we mocked a game and had to block the jammer. we successfully blocked erin from getting through a few times. it was really really fun. i learned how to hit... although we only made it through one round of the drill before a girl got knocked over and, they think, dislocated two fingers - YES, IT'S A FULL CONTACT SPORT. i also learned transitions... where i turn around so (if i could do it...) i can switch to skating backwards. but i can't skate backwards yet. i also got another girl that i know to show me how to do the cross over skating (where one foot goes over the other and you can go fast around corners)... although i haven't managed to wrap my head around that one yet. my wheels keep getting stuck on each other. no good. i didn't fall doing that though....
i got in a sort of bummed out mood this afternoon after randoming around all morning... so i sat down and started whip it! before i had to come to work. it just made me want to practice skating all the time. i mean... if i can see the difference in my ability after TWO practices... it can't be that bad. i think i could be a natural! i actually likened it to the years of dance i did... once i know how my feet are supposed to move, i can do it.
aside from that... hmm... what has been going on? i have a ton of work to do on my mom's yard. i am, hopefully, going to get a good start on the flower beds in her yard this week. i think most of the plants are in the garden now... so we can start working on the flowers. i want to get some tiger lilies and some more irises. they're soooo pretty! just make the flower beds in the front of the house, and around the side (the ones you see when you drive up) look magical and whimsical. not like perfect landscaped flower beds... like just an over growth of flowers where no weeds happen to be... because i will pull them all out. hahahaha. tyler and i are hunting down more brick or paving stones for the back yard... we haven't found much yet. it seems to be a popular thing to request and goes quickly... but we will keep trying. tyler has another set of stairs to build, and the ones already built need another coat of stain on them... and we have to figure out WHAT is happening with the rest of the porch.
i also need to get my mom to take my measurements so i can pass them along to dessy for the dress. and take a look at the technical drawings she did for me... and pick exactly how i want the dress to be....
not too much is going on aside from all that. just wedding planning and roller derby. i am also debating on getting a gym pass still... i thought YES for a bit. and now i am thinking i just need to skate more and sweat doing that... because i sweat a lot. and i feel so good. i don't know. i guess we'll see. i was also thinking if i go to the pool some more... and then start swimming in the lake once it is warm enough... WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!?
what do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Only get a gym pass if you love the gym. I hate it. Anytime I have ever bought a pass, I have used it only once or twice. Its cheaper to pay for drop-in if that is what you are going to do. I dropped in with Penny 3 times in the winter and that was okay. But I only went 3 times. Not worth a pass. I would much rather ride my bike and swim in the lake and do stuff outside. Also, I have been doing bootcamp and I can't say enough good things about it. I love it. You really get an awesome work out and its always different and in different places. Never boring. And they push you so much harder than I would ever push myself. It feels really good. My 2 cents.
ReplyDeleteyeah, that's awesome!! Good job on the roller derby!! I love that feeling of progress, it's soo rewarding, especially if you were anxious to try something in the first place. I'm learning that - just throwing yourself in situations where you'll be a fish out of water for a bit to learn something new, even though you're scared of being an idiot or failing or whatever, always end up being the most rewarding experiences. Mountain biking is like that for me especially, because it scared me so much at first, and my first time I could hardly do a THING...but then my second time there was marked progress, and I was flying so high from that. And it kept going on, each time I went out. Anyways, what I'm saying is yyyyeah, congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso about the gym thing, I agree with yer mom. If you have something in your life that you enjoy and that's a good workout, I'd stick with that, because then it's like you're enjoying yourself, and getting fit on the side. Whereas with the gym you'd be going for one purpose and one purpose only, and probably wouldn't be nearly so motivated to go, and might not ever. Maybe it'd be a good thing to have in the winter?
whew, yah, what they said. It'd be cheaper to just drop in every now and then. I think it's awesome you found something you love and are naturally good at that happens to give you a workout at the same time! And swimming is a full-body workout plus it's fun and refreshing. So I'd just forget the gym pass for now. That's my opinion.
ReplyDeleteby the way...were you wanting a new skin? I could design one that would work for your format if you wanted.
i loved boot camp too, when i could afford it. for the same reasons as your mom. i'm super excited about your roller derby-ing. i can't say why. it's just neat that like amy said, you're trying something new and challenging and thus rewarding. i need to do some stuff like that so i can stop living through you guys.
ReplyDeletebethany, would you do me a roller girl skin? perhaps?
ReplyDelete